Friday, April 07, 2006

Big Order

The bubble has finally burst. Since my birthday is coming in about 10 days, I thought I should treat myself. I ordered every game on my want list that was available at Fair Play. They should be here in less than a week, giving me time to play with them a little before the weekend.

Alexandros - Leo Colovini. Almost a no-brainer. Looks pretty and has some interesting mechanics.

Byzantium - I'm now ready for Martin Wallace games. I read PotR last year and it just didn't click with me. Now they are all starting to sound really fun. Also looking forward to the PotR reprint.

Elasund - I do not like Settlers very much, but this one strikes just the right chord.

Fury Of Dracula - I was hooked on this game idea about 2 days before Scott Nicholson's excellent video report. I had previously read the rules to Scotland Yard, but it felt a little blah. This one has more going on and has a beautiful board. Should complement Shadows nicely.

Keythedral Expansion - The very first time I played Keythedral, I noticed that it didn't matter what cubes you collected when you get to the final row. This expansion is a direct response to that issue.

Lord Of The Rings: The Confrontation (Deluxe) - Been looking at this one for a long time. I think I can finally find an opponent or two to play with me.

Meridian - Another Leo Colovini. Not rated very high on the Geek, but what do they know. :)

Mexica - I've enjoyed Java at home and Tikal on SpielByWeb, so why not complete the set.

No Thanks! - I'm always looking for very light games that anyone can play, and that can be taught as you play. This should do.

Roma - I ignored this one because of the images. My bad. After reading the rules, it was an immediate must buy. I don't care if the Forum is "too powerful".

Shadows Over Camelot - As I said in a previous post, I just need to get this one once and for all.

Struggle Of Empires - Another Martin Wallace. I got a nice overview of this game by Kevin Moody over Vassal. It's not what I expected, even after reading the rules and the reviews.

Tikal - Thanks to SpielByWeb for implementing this game. I like it slightly more than Java, but I suspect Mexica will edge them both out.


The choice of retailer was easy this time. Fair Play had every game that I wanted that is in print except Das Ende des Triumvirats. They are closer to me than all other big retailers except Game Surplus. An equivalent Funagain order would have cost at least $150 more. And thanks to Tom and Joe, I got free shipping (of course all orders over $150 get free shipping anyways, but still...).

Games I want that are unavailable: Antike, ASL Starter Kit #1 (are you proud of me Joe?), Jenseits von Theben, Kreta, and Princes of the Renaissance. Note that I do not buy used games or from Ebay, and I don't trade. Games that I am anxiously awaiting: Aton, El Grande, Goa, Masons, Medici, Winner's Circle, and Taj Mahal. I have my eye on Cleopatra (although it would be a little embarrassing to own with all that cheesy plastic) and Tempus (going to be a tough call with no rules).

It's looking like a fantastic year for gaming. Lots of interesting stuff coming, including reprints of many games I missed the first time around. Having tried Vassal, I now have even more gaming options and potentially more opponents. The play-by-web sites are adding more games all the time. There's 2 great video podcasts (Scott's and Ted's, did I miss any?), too many podcasts to mention, and upwards of 30 blogs that I love to read.

It's getting so that I need to remind myself to eat and sleep.

7 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I played Keythedral last night, and one of the three 12s involved two white cubes and two red resource cubes. One of the other 12s was a gold and two reds. So yeah, even in the end, you need certain resource cubes, even if they're only red.

Hope the expansion is good.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger ekted said...

It's only a single sheet of extra 12 VP counters, but it adds many of the raw resources back into the mix and also includes some that require unspent Law cards. A little pricey for a single sheet, but I would have paid $7 more for a "deluxe" version anyways.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Coldfoot said...

That's one heck of a Birthday present to yourself, Jim. How old are you gonna be...80? :D

Happy Birthday. iiiiiii (candles :) )

And now we will be expecting some wonderful commentary on these games when you get them.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger ekted said...

Haha! I will be 42.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Rick said...

Happy Birthday in advance Jim! That's a heck of a shipment of games to toss on the "need to play" pile. :) It takes Fairplay a week to get games to you? When I was in Jersey they got my order to the hotel in under three days. Amazingly efficient.

I wonder what Joe is going to order while he's Gamer of the Week?

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger ekted said...

Michigan to Maine via UPS is 2-3 days. I just wanted to make sure that if my Friday order didn't ship until Monday, that they still got here before the following weekend. As it turns out, I got an email saying the order was processed at 1am Saturday morning. Do they really work 24/7 packing boxes? Either way, I love Fair Play.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger ekted said...

Well, turns out the games didn't ship until Monday. The 2-3 days transit time is going to be 3. So, ordered Friday afternoon, received on Thursday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home