Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Heyday

Everything has its heyday, and games are no exception.

It's difficult for me to make any sort of intelligent statements about this since I didn't know there was anything beyond Monopoly and Axis & Allies until June of 2004. Since then I have been trying my darnedest to play catch up.

I am still new enough to be surprised by innovative ideas, even in older games, but I also feel that I have sampled quite a wide variety of games.

In the past 6 months, I have seen some very interesting new games: Caylus, Punct, Antike, Triumvirats, Mesopotamia, Kaivai, Hacienda, Siena, Tempus, Byzantium, to name a few. All got my attention. A few will get my money.

But as I look at my game ratings, I can't help but think that, for now, my favorite games are likely to remain the "older" ones. Are they simply the classics? Is it just that there are more older games--obviously--than newer games? Was 2005 a slump year? Are we still climbing the hump of the board game curve?

I'd like to think that there are many great years of board game production ahead. Although I already have enough games to last a lifetime, I can't bear the thought of stagnation. I always need to have a "next order" pending--something to look forward to.

2 Comments:

At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most boardgamers get all cynical and bitter when they get older - I know I did. Not everything is golden and great, like it used to be when you start checking out these new games.

For me 2005 is a good year, because of Caylus, Antike, Indonesia, Fettnapf and others. It's pretty much like any other year: lots of hyped games, few games I really like, some silent gems that will be discovered later... It's really hard to say until you've found all the gems.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger ekted said...

I was cynical at 15. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home