Thursday, November 02, 2006

Game Night at the Condo

The evening started early with some people coming from away. We had a total of 9, but because of a Thai takeout problem, general game selection indecision, and people leaving early, it was rather short. Still, a short evening of games is better than a long night of just about anything else.

Wits & Wagers: I was keen to try this since I'd heard good things from others. It was ok, but fell short of that party game feeling I had hoped for. With only 7 rounds, there's too few questions to smooth out the randomness of knowledge and the guesses. Often, I would have no idea what the answer was, or even who might know better than I, so betting was random. In the end, 5 of us went all in, again on a guess. It just never felt that I was doing (or could be doing) anything to help myself.

I'm the Boss: The board design seriously hinders play, but I did enjoy this one. By the time the game ended, I had figured out a bunch of things I should have been doing. For example, if another player is offering a card from their hand and you have the character in front of you, almost always underbid them; free money. Our game got nasty very quickly: "Give me $2,000 or I'll play this." We had one deal get stolen 5 times in the same round. I'll definitely approach this game differently next time.

Santiago: I haven't played this one too often, but this was the most intense game yet. Players bribed high to place canals in terrible places just to make the overseer pay more. Players not supporting each other for obvious shared canals so that the player with the extra canal had to use theirs. If I play another game this good, I may have to bump it up a bit.

At the other table, I believe they were playing Citadels, Alhambra, and Ra.


I'm the Boss image by CaptainCaveman

1 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I did enjoy Santiago the one time we played it - and it definitely got quite nasty.

Haven't tried the other two though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home