Sunday, May 27, 2007

Yspahan

I am beginning to question my ability to pick games I will like just by reading the rules. The latest in my sporadic series of bad calls is Yspahan. It's got lots of choices and a nice dose of randomness to keep things fresh, but it fails to generate anything positive within me.

The theme is meaningless. The choices are uninteresting. Of course, there's skill involved, but not at a level that I care to exercise. It has the hallmark of a game with direct interaction, yet every time I have the chance to steal a row of dice or send a cube to the caravan, I start to wonder what's on TV.

The fact that it got a Spiel des Jahres nomination should be a clue that this game was destined for my "maybe never play again" pile. It will likely join other recent uninspiring purchases: Hermagor and UR.


Yspahan image by richardsgamepack

6 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh come on, Jim, there are at two or three interesting decisions to make during the game. One, at least.

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will trade for you Hermagor.

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't played it myself, and since I watched the "Boardgames with Scott"-episode about it, I have no desire to whatsoever. Your comment sealed the deal. I'll play it if somebody else buys/brings it. Once...

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger ekted said...

My feelings about the game haven't changed since my first play, but I keep trying to give it another chance hoping something will click. It's happened before.

Anonymous: Who are you?

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

I find it to be quick, light, and fun. So it works in that capacity for me.

 
At 3:10 AM, Blogger Ben Turner said...

We played it once - it had camels ! Saw very few inter-player strategies, or choices, or elements of fun, or reasons to play again. Ever.

It DID have camels though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home