Monday, December 26, 2005

Weight vs weight

BoardGameGeek allows users to register a weight for each game. The meaning of this property has been the subject of discussion. There are many possible definitions for weight in the context of a game. I believe there are two definitions that are particularly useful, and that games should be rated in this way.

Weight of Rules/Mechanics: This is a measure of the complexity of the learning curve of the game and the amount of "stuff" going on. Games with a low value in this area are easy to teach and learn. Games with a high value in this area will take a long time to learn and will likely have larger rulebooks.

Weight of Choices/Interactions: This is a measure of the depth of play. Games with a low value in this area have fewer choices and interactions of game mechanics. Games with a high value in this area take sigificant effort to understand and play well.

On the chart (click for larger image), I attempted to show a number of games rated using these two weights. Don't get too bent out of shape if you think my numbers are way off; I haven't played all these games. I was trying to find some examples that filled the 4 corners of the chart as much as possible.

Apples to Apples: Low in both weights. It's so easy to teach that you don't even have to explain anything. You just deal the cards and start playing. On your turn, you just have to pick a card.

Magic Realm: This is one of the games I'm least familiar with. It is very rules heavy and not for the faint of heart. But I would imagine that once you know the system cold, it is not difficult to play.

Go: Fairly light in rules. Almost all the rules of Go can be taught in a few minutes. However, the implications of these rules are staggering in depth. You cannot play Go with any level of expertise without serious study.

Bridge: Heavy in rules/mechanics, and heavy in play. You almost need to take a class just to be able to play at all. And you definitely need to play and study for years to become proficient.

Euphrates & Tigris: For me, this is the perfect "smack in the middle" game. It has just enough mechanics and interactions to be interestingly heavy, but not so much that you need to devote part of your life to it.

Are any of my ratings off? Are there games that are closer to the 3 empty corners of my graph? Is there perhaps a third dimension that I am missing? You tell me.

7 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger ekted said...

I could teach all the rules to E&T in 15 minutes. I couldn't teach all the rules to Bridge in 4 hours.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger ekted said...

I don't think randomness and weight are related. There are very heavy games with cards, and there are very light games with 100% information. However, you _can_ make a hevay game lighter by adding randomness.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Pawnstar said...

I could be wrong, but I think you have one axis too many. I believe one "type" of weight to be a function of the other. The complexity of this function gives us "depth".

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger ekted said...

I think the fact that games fall all over the graph shows that the two properties are separate. That is, if you think my graph is valid.

I will grant you that complexity of any kind probably has some correlation, since games that are more difficult to learn tend to be more more difficult to play. If BGG allowed users to rate all games using both these concepts, you might see a vague diagonal line from 1,1 to 5,5. But there are many stragglers.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger ekted said...

hibikir,

I agree with you on the split between the two types of playing complexity, buty I don't think they are two separate dimensions--just different qualities of one dimension...or something.

With regards to Bridge. Have you played it? It is really nothing like Spades. Nothing at all. Except in the basic trick taking mechanism. Bridge is the only game I know tha has the "decision tree" kind of depth that Go does. Not only could a player of one level not see the correct line of play for a hand of a higher level. They couldn't even understand it after it was explained to them. Bridge is to Spades as Go is to Checkers.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger ekted said...

Bidding is complicated, yes, but playing a hand [well] is even more so. It is true that anyone _can_ play a hand of Bridge, but doing it with any degree of expertise takes YEARS of study. Of the three aspects of Bridge (bidding, playing the hand, and defense), bidding is considered by all experts to the easiest.

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, a very insightful approach. I wish BGG would evaluate weight like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home