Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Second Game Order Has Arrived

I am again happy to report that the second of 2 packages has arrived. I placed the order with Games in a Box on Thursday and it arrived on Wednesday. The games are: Masons, Mykerinos, and Vinci. This was my first order using this vendor. I chose them because they were the only ones still carrying new copies of Vinci.

To my initial dismay, the UPS driver handed me a box that looked like it had come from a war zone. The top was crushed at least 2" (5cm) causing one side to buckle. There was a large grease spot on one side like the bottom of an old pizza box. And there were what looked like bullet holes in one side. I would not have been surprised to see scorch marks.

I quickly opened the box, and dove into the foam peanuts checking for casualties. Fortunately, all 3 games were perfectly intact. There was also no sign of damage to anything inside the boxes. And like my first order, everything was in good shape and nothing was missing. Hurray! Things of note:

Masons: My initial count showed that I was missing 3 houses of every color. I thought perhaps the rules were including the palaces in the house count. Then I realized that 60/5 is 12, and not 15. Thump!

Mykerinos: The rulebook background is incredibly annoying. It's like trying to read a palimpsest. Perhaps it came back from the printer a little more pronounced than they had hoped? The tiles are really nice. I had expected thicker cardboard, maybe like Samurai tiles, but these are like Carcassonne tiles.

Vinci: The board is bigger than I expected. Very cool. If I could change anything, it would be to make the discs just the slightest bit thicker. While counting them out, I had a hard time picking them up from a flat surface, and I have small fingers.


[Vinci image by Debate.]

8 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had expected thicker cardboard, maybe like Samurai tiles, but these are like Carcassonne tiles.

That does not compute. The tiles in the German editions of Samurai and Carcassonne are of equal thickness :)

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Rick said...

It's fun to conjecture as to what exactly happened to that box.

Pizza stain? BULLET HOLES?

"This is a stickup. Hand over the boardgames!"

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger ekted said...

My Carc tles are twice as thick as my Samurai tiles.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Vinci, eh? We should play on Ludagora.net some time.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger ekted said...

I just taught 2 online friends to play last night. I had a civ with both Livestock bonus tiles. Killer points.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds fun. I still have to learn how to play.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger ekted said...

I've played 4 games of Vinci online so far. That's why I bought it. It's a little on the coarse side, but the civ selection mechanic along with the proper use of your civ's abilities makes it very fun.

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Fraser said...

Those Mykerinos rules are a triumph of art over usability. From a distance they look great, but they a verging on unreadable. We saw this at a games day a couple of months ago. Two or three people opened it, saw the rules, said something along the lines of Expletive-Deleted and closed the box and put the game back on the pile. It did not get played that day, purely and simply due to the rules.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home